Skip to Main Content

Mandatory Community Service Requirement

According to the Admissions and Occupancy Policy, each adult member (18 years of age and older) of a tenant family must contribute eight (8) hours of community service each month within their community or must participate in an economic self-sufficiency program.

Community Service is defined as the performance of voluntary work or duties that are of public benefit and that serve to improve the quality of life, enhance resident self-sufficiency or increase self-responsibility in the community. All community service must be performed within the Burlington city limits. Community service MAY NOT include political activities. Community Service MAY include attendance at Resident Council meetings, assisting Resident Services with passing out informative flyers in your community, attending Resident Services/BHA staff sponsored workshops in your community. Economic Self-Sufficiency program is defined as any program designed to encourage, assist, train or facilitate the economic independence of residents.

The programs may include but are not limited to:

  • Job search, readiness or training programs
  • Skills training programs
  • Higher education (Junior college or college)
  • GED/high school diploma classes
  • Apprenticeships (formal or informal)
  • Substance abuse or mental health counseling
  • English Proficiency or literacy (reading) classes
  • English as a second language classes
  • Budgeting and credit counseling
  • Any type of class/program that helps a person move toward economic independence

You may choose to complete eight (8) hours of community service each month or be involved in an economic self-sufficiency program for eight (8) hours each month. You may also choose to do a combination of the two to meet the monthly eight (8) hour monthly requirement.

You will not be required to perform community service if you are:

  • 62 years or older;
  • Blind or disabled and can certify that they cannot comply with the community service requirement;
  • Caretakers of a person with a disability;
  • Engaged in work activities such as:
    • Unsubsidized employment
    • Subsidized private-sector employment
    • Subsidized public-sector employment
    • Work experience (including work associated with the refurbishing of publicly assisted housing) if sufficient private sector employment is not available;
    • On-the-job-training
    • Job-search
    • Community service programs
    • Vocational educational training (not to exceed 12 months with respect to any individual)
    • Job-skills training directly related to employment
    • Education directly related to employment in the case of a recipient who has not received a high school diploma or a certificate of high school equivalency
    • Satisfactory attendance at secondary school or in a course of study leading to a certificate of general equivalency, in the case of a recipient who has not completed secondary school or received such a certificate
  • Exempt from work activities under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program (TANF) or a state welfare program; and/or
  • Members of a family in compliance with TANF or a state welfare program’s requirement

Your file will be reviewed prior to re-certification and if you are not in compliance with community service, you could face EVICTION. The housing authority has the option of terminating your lease at re-certification if you are not in compliance.

For more information contact:
Nikki Ratliff, Program Services Director
336-226-8421 ext. 228